*
*


Current Inspire Me Fridays link-up HERE!




August 3, 2011

Cardinal Christmas Ornament

Happy Wednesday!

Christmas...a joyous celebration!
I know Christmas seems like a long way off, but I'm enjoying the thought of cooler weather!



I call this piece, Felt Bird with Puffy Wing!   :)


Isn't this fabric gorgeous?   I just love poinsettias!  You will be seeing more crafting done with this, for sure!

My birdie is cut from red felt.  The template is from LollyChops.com.  I printed it on heavy cardstock, used a bit of gold Stickles, a black brad & some gold cord.   This birdie (drawn by MomChops) is just one of a series Lolly will be posting.  Each of her birds are works of art!!!  Mine? It's a no sew version!  lol

The puffy wing was made by draping the fabric over the front of the cardstock wing & attaching the fabric around the backside edge of the cardstock.  (leaving a little opening for stuffing) This allows the wing to have a flat side which can be covered with glue & attached to the bird body!  


It was fun working on Christmas ornaments in August!  It would have been more fun with Christmas music playing, but the kids drew the line there!!!

We have a new Creative Belli challenge posted for you today!   We would like to see you use non-paper elements on your creaions!  Check out the details & gorgeous DT work HERE!  Enjoy!

Thank you for stopping by, hope your day is delightful!
Blessings!



I shared today's creation with -


Creative Belli - non-paper materials
Inspire Me Fridays - anything goes
Crafts and Me -anything goes
Simon Says Stamp - Christmas
Crazy Amigo Challenge - Anything goes
Paper Take Weekly - Anything goes
Die Cut Dreams - Holiday fun
Opus Gluei - no sentiment allowed
Just Us Girls - Use Fabric
Totally Gorjuss - Christmas in July
Crafts 4 Eternity Recipe Challenge -  anything but a card
Fussy and Fancy -  Christmas in July
and some awesome parties HERE!

28 comments:

Lori said...

That's what I'm talking about...No sewing! Cardinals were a favorite of my mom's so they are special to me. Yours is gorgeous, and I can't wait to see more of that fabric!!!

Jennifer Scull said...

wowzers, Maria! that is absolutely gorgeous! and I am already thinking Christmas as far as gifties, too. can't start too soon....

Patti J said...

Very pretty, Maria!!! The Missouri bird is the cardinal, so you know I'm envisioning one of those on our tree this year! Have a great day, and thanks for sharing - love it!!!

Catherine said...

How cute! Thank you so much for sharing the info and your great example. I hope to try making these for Christmas presents (or tags) since the cardinal is my state bird (and many others). TFS this great inspiration!
(((HUGS)))

coldwaters2 said...

Wow Maria this is excellent what a beautiful ornament and i agree that fabric is luxurious.
Hugs
Lorraine x

Shelly Schmidt said...

Wow- love your bird- the fabric is just beautiful and love the dimension with stuffing in the wings. Great project for gifts or ornaments for friends and family.

Karen W said...

This is gorgeous!

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Wow Maria!! This is gorgeous and elegant!! I love it!!!
hugs,
Chris

Donna said...

This is fantastic Maria, I love your little bird and that fabric is stunning. Christmas will be upon us before we know it, I keep meaning to get my cards started but I just can't get into the Christmas mood, maybe I should try Christmas music lol. hugs Donna x

Marlene said...

Oh Maria, that is beautiful...and you're right, that fabric is lovely!

Susan said...

Hey Maria!

I hear you, I'm ready for cooler weather too. Not winter have you, just cooler. Your little cardinal turned out so cute. That is pretty fabric and you had me at the no sew statement! I can't wait to see what else you will be using the fabric on. As for the Christmas music, you go right ahead and play it loud. That's payback for the noise that we as mothers have to endure on a day to day basis! lol

Thanks for sharing!

Susan

Pat (mspfd) said...

Great ornament! Love the puffy wings on the birdie.

Electra said...

This is so pretty! I could see an entire tree covered with these! Thanks for joining us at Opus Gluei!

Susan Snyder said...

Beautiful, but please tell me that this is an old photo! otherwise I will sit here wondering why you have your Christmas tree up in Aug. LOL

Maria Matter said...

LOL, I used a mini Christmas tree for the photo!
Tried to do it outside on a real evergreen, but it was too windy & my birdie kept trying to fly!

bettand said...

Love this birdie. Sparkly christmas card, love the colours. Thanks for playing at Totally Gorjuss this week and good luck. Hope to see you again saturday for a new challenge. Bettina

michele said...

Fabulous! Thanks for joining us at C4E this week hugs x

Andrea M said...

Stunning cardinal! Such a fabulous use of fabric! Thanks so much for playing along with Just Us Girls!

Lisa Kind said...

Great to get started on Christmas things, isn't it? This is such a pretty ornament! Thanks for playing our JUGs challenge!

pinky said...

Wow Maria this is just stunning! Thanks for playing along at C4E this week.
Pinky

Gini said...

Gorgeous cardinal, he'll be so admired on your tree this christmas!
Thank you for joining us at Opus Gluei.
Gini
xx

crafty amy said...

What a brilliant project! they are going to look stunning on your tree :D
Thank you for joining us at Crafts and Me and good luck.

Hugs

Amy xx

Elise said...

WHAT an excellent project and WAY to get ahead of the Christmas Craft's rush - I love this! Thanks for sharing your inspiration with Just Us Girls!

jdmommy - Anne Harmon said...

That cardinal ornament is gorgeous. The fabric wing is amazing........how could you bear to cut into that material?? I would just be hoarding it!! TFS!

Dragonlady said...

Wow Maria, what a fantastic holiday creation. Thank you for playing at Die Cut Dreams.

Hugs Ali x

Rosemary said...

Oh Maria, we've missed you at Opus Gluei and I'm so glad you came back and shared your lovely bird with us. What a pretty design and yes, I've used LollyChops before and love her stuff. I could see an entire flock of these on a tree in all different Christmas fabrics, that would be LOVELY!

Thank you so much for coming back over to play with us, hope we are able to get you back more and more to play with us!

Kristen said...

Gorgeous Christmas Ornament! This is so pretty! I made some ornaments the other day.. some paper Finnish Stars. Too fun! Christmas should never be over in my humble opinion!!!
Thank you for joining in at the Order of the Opus Gluei!
We hope to see you again!!!

Jana said...

WOW. This is one beautiful bird. This is going to look amazing on your tree. I am impressed with your ahead-of-the-game-ness. It's always wonderful to see your creations. Thank you so much for playing along with us at OPUS GLUEI.